People with Extreme Views May Have Trouble with Self Analysis

Moderators: I am nobody, Deku Tree

I am nobody

People with Extreme Views May Have Trouble with Self Analysis

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:34 pm

Not exactly the most surprising result in the world, but an interesting study from a few months back found a correlation between extreme political views and difficulty accepting one's own mistakes even when objectively incorrect, in this case about determining which group of dots was the largest.

https://www.popsci.com/radical-politics-metacognition/
After taking the questionnaire, the first group did a simple test: they looked at two different clusters of dots and quickly identified which group had more dots. Then they rated how confident they were in their choice.

People with radical political opinions completed this exercise with pretty much the same accuracy as moderate participants. But “after incorrect decisions, the radicals were less likely to decrease their confidence,” Fleming says.

Unlike political beliefs, which often have no right or wrong answer per se, one group of dots was unquestionably more numerous than the other. But regardless of whether or not there was an objective answer, the radicals were more likely to trust their opinion was correct than to question whether they might have gotten it wrong.
They didn't attempt to identify whether extreme views or lacking metacognition came first, but it's still an interesting confirmation of what we probably all suspected.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Re: People with Extreme Views May Have Trouble with Self Analysis

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:19 am

Sounds about right.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

smol Kat

Re: People with Extreme Views May Have Trouble with Self Analysis

Post by smol Kat » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:46 am

This isn't a debate! There are four lights!

On a more relevant note, I wonder which comes first, too. I suspect it's the lack of metacognition.
we built our house of cards
but it feels like it's still ours...

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”