18%
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
9%

Total votes: 11

Valigarmander
Supermod

What's the best Super Smash Bros. game?

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:29 am

Now that the dust has settled a bit... which SSB game do you think is the best, however you choose to define that word?

DarkZero

Re: What's the best Super Smash Bros. game?

Post by DarkZero » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:55 am

brawl is the best bc you can mod the **** out of it and play whatever kind of smash game you want

subspace is cool also
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:43 am

I didn't play much of 4 or the original, but I feel like there's a solid case for it just being reverse release order.

Also, PSBR gets treated as way more of a joke than it deserves to. It's fine. Not good, and not something I'd ever pick over Smash, but fine.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:05 am

Melee. Just the speed, specifically fall speed, was perfect --something about the precision of movement. It's unmatched. I think SSBU is close enough but some of the design decisions irk me too much to place over Melee (roll degradation, inability to run through opponents, etc).

I liked everything about Melee more. Its style is very early 00's, I like that aesthetic.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:54 am

Uff. This is difficult tbh.

Smash 64 was fun but obviously everything else blows it out of the water with graphics and overall experience.

I want to say Melee but then it gets dumb when you want to use any other character besides Fox and Marth and Sheik because they just own everybody else. But I kind of agree with IRHP about the aesthetic. It had THE BEST opening sequence. Awesome music. Adventure mode was fun. But the downside, like I said, is the competitive realm being dominated by the same characters. You'll be hard pressed to stand a chance with other characters.

I want to say Brawl but Link sucked in Brawl but Subspace Emissary was so cool. Like SO COOL.

Forget Smash 4.

Smash Ultimate - as a Link main it's like "WHOA LINK IS FINALLY UP THERE IN TOP TIER" buuuut now there's a crappy single-player campaign and they removed some fun extras like trophies, break the targets, and home run contest. Unlike Melee though, it feels like virtually every character has an equal chance of winning tourneys if you're really good with them.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:58 pm

ok so my answer was kind of a cop-out so more genuinely i think melee, the wireframe menu aesthetic is really cool and it introduced the most cool stuff compared to its predecessor (like event modes, trophies, and adventure mode).

also i really like how the combo system is high-hitstun but strong DI, and i think it makes it the most interesting as a spectator sport. every other smash game is really bread-and-buttery and you'll see the exact same optimized combos a lot, but with melee you never know what you'll see from stock to stock because the optimal play changes with every single hit.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:03 pm

I truly think Melee is the best Smash game. It has just the right amount of single-player content, and, for me, it has the perfect sense of movement and feel.

"lol grow up, play new games, get out of 2001" I don't care, man, Melee is freaking sick.

honestly, I'd say Ultimate is the best game if I didn't think it's single-player offerings weren't...middling, at best (good classic mode with a stupid and boring adventure mode). If Ultimate had anything even close to resembling the Subspace Emissary, I'd say it's the best without a doubt.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:26 pm

Best single-player: Brawl/Ultimate.
Best Luigi: Brawl/Smash 4.
Best Having Mushroom Kingdom 64: SSB64/Ultimate.

So based on those criteria, either Brawl or Ultimate.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:16 pm

ScottyMcGee wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:54 am
I want to say Melee but then it gets dumb when you want to use any other character besides Fox and Marth and Sheik because they just own everybody else.
Those are definitely the most popular and easy choices but people have done well with others, so it's possible, just less common. To a low level player like me Jigglypuff and Peach seemed like unusable trash but then I watched high level play and apparently they're technically as viable as Fox in the right hands.

It is true that there are too many characters who are clearly trash though, characters like Mewtwo and Bowser who can't compete. SSBU does seem to have the best amount of usable characters the series has ever seen (Samus seems worse than ever though, her already bad dodge roll is a joke now, so rip me).

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:39 pm

Samus is probably the best she's been since Melee due to what air-charging and her bombs give her. She struggles in some matchups against some relevant (and some weird) characters though and there's like 70 other characters in the game so I think she ends up a small fish in a big pond. On a side note, using her is the best way to learn the important lesson of DO NOT SHIELD-GRAB.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:13 pm

Air charging is probably pretty useful but I haven't practiced enough so I just end up doing it on accident and dying lol. I don't know if it'll make up for that roll though... she should be able to leave bombs behind as she rolls just because of how bad it is. It was always the worst roll in the game but now it gets worse? Yeesh.

Maybe it's a big deal to me because I'm a defensive player idk.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:26 pm

Trying to be objective, I'd vote Ultimate. Desert island, I'd probably take Melee for myself, though.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:35 pm

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:13 pm
Air charging is probably pretty useful but I haven't practiced enough so I just end up doing it on accident and dying lol. I don't know if it'll make up for that roll though... she should be able to leave bombs behind as she rolls just because of how bad it is. It was always the worst roll in the game but now it gets worse? Yeesh.

maybe you roll too much? just an idea

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:39 pm

DarkZero wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:35 pm
I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:13 pm

maybe you roll too much? just an idea
*Pretentiously inserts several repeating winking emojis*

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:15 pm

rolling is mostly bad

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:56 am

I really love Ultimate. It's such a wonderful game that was so obviously made with love for the entire Nintendo canon. There's so much to dive into with all the little references throughout the game modes. You can tell that a lot of thought and a lot of heart went into the game, and it shows It has some of my favorite new additions for characters since Brawl and it feels really fun. But while I enjoy World of Light, I can't help but feel disappointed by it overall. It's a wonderful tribute to Nintendo in its own right, but doesn't feel like the single-player Smash campaign I really want. Brawl has some negatives as a package, but it really put on a stellar single-player (and co-op!) experience.

Meanwhile, Melee really might be the best-feeling overall game. I really like how Ultimate plays, but there's just something about the pace and the feel of Melee. It obviously isn't as jam-packed with content, as something like a Brawl or Ultimate, but everything it does have is done near-perfectly.

So going with my gut, I'd probably go:
Melee
Ultimate
Brawl
Wii U/3DS
N64

Slim gap between Melee and Ultimate. More significant gaps between the other games. Brawl has its issues but has SSE which gives it a major boost. Smash 4 is just forgettable. I thought about ranking Smash 64 higher just for laying the groundwork, but I recently played it with my brother a few months ago. That game (like many N64/PSX games) does NOT hold up.

Also I know it was included as a joke but PlayStation All-Stars straight up feels WRONG. I played it for a couple hours once and it's just..... sickening.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:16 am

^ It's probably true that SSB64 doesn't hold up, I'll avoid playing it so that it remains perfect in my memory lol.

PSASBR though, it really isn't good but only because of the poor roster and the way kills are handled. The groundwork is as solid. A sequel could really challenge SSB.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:47 am

SSB64 is the favourite. Then 'Brawl', then 'Melee'. Those are the ones I've played.
the eternal sneaky wriggler, twistier than god's own corkscrew, sharp as split lightning

steeze

Post by steeze » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:49 am

I'm with boo. Just switch melee before brawl.

Return to “Super Smash Bros.: Final Destination”