FFVII Remake thread - Tifa wears a sports bra

The place where you can discuss everything from the world of PlayStation

Moderator: I am nobody

Marilink
Supermod

FFVII Remake thread - Tifa wears a sports bra

Post by Marilink » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:35 pm

I couldn’t find a thread for the FFVII remake yet, but I needed to make one after this news dropped. If there was a thread already, Ian, go ahead and merge.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/14/20865 ... n-tgs-2019
Final Fantasy 7 Remake will have a turn-based ‘Classic Mode’ that plays like the original
If you prefer menus over real-time action, Classic Mode is for you
By Michael McWhertor on September 14, 2019 2:00 am

Square Enix
Final Fantasy 7 Remake will have a “classic” gameplay option for players who prefer their role-playing games turn-based, just as the original Final Fantasy 7 was back in 1997. At Tokyo Game Show on Saturday, producer Yoshinori Kitase confirmed that the remake of the classic JRPG — which updates the game to be an action-RPG — will offer an optional turn-based battle mode where players can select attacks and other moves from a menu interface.

According to a translated recap of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake TGS stage show from the game’s official Twitter account, Classic Mode will recreate the same style of turn-based gameplay from the original. While the standard mode of play will automatically fill the player’s ATB Gauge as they attack enemies, “in Classic Mode this aspect of gameplay is handled automatically. The player does not need to do anything and the character fights automatically, charging up their ATB Gauge.”

Players who opt for Classic Mode won’t have to “worry about the action side of the combat system,” Square Enix said, “and can instead focus on selecting commands, making it possible to play [Final Fantasy 7 Remake] as if it were a classic menu-based RPG.”

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is coming to PlayStation 4 on March 3, 2020.
This is very cool to me. I think the action gameplay looks intriguing, but I was very disappointed to see the loss of turn-based combat, especially based on Square’s prior statement about turn-based combat being “ridiculous” when graphical fidelity allows us to, in some people’s eyes, move past the stilted ways of the past. But I think there’s merit in turn-based combat, and apparently enough other people did too, because now there will be a Classic mode!

I like that it’s both, and not an either-or. The only problem is that this remake anthology is going to take even longer to develop. Remember that this is episodic in format, so don’t expect to have the complete FFVII story until *checks watch* we all succumb to entropy.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Re: FFVII Remake thread - Turn-Based Mode Announced!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:31 pm

Very cool, now I'm much more interested. The pessimist in me says it is just slapped on because they didn't expect a significant amount of backlash, so it probably wasn't planned. If it is like playing an action game but pauses every couple seconds then that's not exactly an optimal experience, but this still deserves praise--I didn't think Square was capable of listening to their fans. Maybe there's hope for FFXVI.

steeze

Post by steeze » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:11 am

I'm probably gonna play it both ways. AYO

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Huh. I heard "yet another FFVII remake" & figured it would be turn-based anyway; this is the first I've heard about there even being real-time mode.
Square’s prior statement about turn-based combat being “ridiculous” when graphical fidelity allows us to...
No, Square, graphical fidelity has nothing to do with why turn-based combat is ridiculous. :-P

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:10 pm

I mean, turn-based combat is a combat simulation. It's extremely game-ified, but there's logic to it.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:50 pm

Can't say I enjoy many turn-based systems nowadays, but I'm glad the option is there.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:13 am

I am nobody wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:50 pm
Can't say I enjoy many turn-based systems nowadays, but I'm glad the option is there.
Do you mean new ones, or even going back to classic games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Super Mario RPG?

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:34 pm

Strategy games are a different thing, but yeah, classic JRPG combat isn't super enjoyable for me either. There's very rarely enough variety to keep it interesting for as much as you're expected to be fighting. There's very little different about the third and final boss fight in most turn-based RPGs other than the numbers, especially since most of them further reduce your opportunities to be creative by making all your status effects useless against tough enemies.

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:52 pm

I hate when you have to fight the same enemy 50 times in one go. Rock tunnel in Pokemon Blue almost made me throw my gameboy color out the car window.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:00 pm

I am nobody wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:34 pm
Strategy games are a different thing, but yeah, classic JRPG combat isn't super enjoyable for me either. There's very rarely enough variety to keep it interesting for as much as you're expected to be fighting. There's very little different about the third and final boss fight in most turn-based RPGs other than the numbers, especially since most of them further reduce your opportunities to be creative by making all your status effects useless against tough enemies.
That's true but I find the same to apply to action RPGs. I guess they're technically more engaging because you're expected to actively move but most of the time you're mashing attack, throwing in a spell here or there.

If turn-based RPGs didn't restrict player options so much they'd be better. Pokemon kinda does this well, but there's no difficulty, at when you're an adult.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:08 pm

Action RPGs get away with it more because you can usually just ignore combat if you don't want to deal with it. Even when you are forced into battles, it's less frustrating when you don't spend half the fight waiting around and there's usually some mechanic, say dodging, that you can always get better at.

IMO the key to turn based battles is to rarely use them. Most fights are interesting the first time. Just balance your game so that they're not repeated.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:19 pm

I like turn-based RPGs more than action RPGs honestly. The latter never quite seems to strike the right balance from my limited experience.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 am

I am nobody wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:08 pm
Action RPGs get away with it more because you can usually just ignore combat if you don't want to deal with it. Even when you are forced into battles, it's less frustrating when you don't spend half the fight waiting around and there's usually some mechanic, say dodging, that you can always get better at.

IMO the key to turn based battles is to rarely use them. Most fights are interesting the first time. Just balance your game so that they're not repeated.

Additionally, action games allow you to more easily compensate for things like being underleveled because you can of course, spam dodge-roll, constantly run around, push enemies into corners...

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:07 am

X-3 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:19 pm
I like turn-based RPGs more than action RPGs honestly. The latter never quite seems to strike the right balance from my limited experience.
I agree. The best action RPGs imo are multiplayer ones like Baldur's Gate, the fun of balancing your team building and working together helps a lot.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:47 am

Sim Kid wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 am
I am nobody wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:08 pm

Additionally, action games allow you to more easily compensate for things like being underleveled because you can of course, spam dodge-roll, constantly run around, push enemies into corners...
Definitely, yeah. A good turn-based game can emulate this by giving you enough options, but very few of them do. Octopath Traveler is one of the few examples I can think of besides Pokemon.

And to be clear, the ARPGs I'm talking about are things like Ni No Kuni II or Witcher 3on the "definitely an RPG" side to NieR: Automata or Horizon: Zero Dawn on the "some people will argue otherwise" side. Games like Borderlands where combat basically still comes down to numbers are basically the same as turn-based for me.

Real-time-with-pause and fake real time (KotoR, Neverwinter Nights) are the absolute worst, though, because they're usually effectively just turn-based systems with several times more waiting for animations.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:17 am

Borderlands is definitely an FPS to me, it just spits numbers and forces me to loot and grind on top of being good at the genre. That's probably why I didn't like it much, but can definitely see the appeal.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:02 am

Yeah now we’re crossing into the territory of “games with RPG elements” which is...a loooot of games

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:01 pm

ok i got a confession to make

i saw a side-by-side of the 97 character concept art for the original game next to all the remake character models and

the remade designs are boring by comparison

high quality, yes

but boring

barret looks like Incredily Generic Action Guy and everyone else is recognizable sure but i think cloud's old hair was more visually interesting because it was so ridiculously asymmetrical whereas his new 'do is just like if naruto let his grow out a few years

Very exaggerated shapes and colors and lively designs, although obviously aged and the in-game models look nothing like them:

Very high quality but kind of just boring because it's trying to be too realistic:

anyway i blame advent children

--

EDIT

i am honestly like ridiculously angry at cloud's hair. cloud's hair used to be so hot. now it sucks. what the ****

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:27 pm

i honestly thought that second image was cosplay at first glance

this just reminds me how much ff7's original artwork rules. just a great art style, up there with oot's art
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:29 pm

The aesthetic is definitely a lot less distinctive. That original art is so good. I wonder what they’re gonna do with, like, Cait Sith and Red XIII.

Return to “Sony Playstation: This is Living!”